The Meaning of Life: An Exposé

Once upon many a time, there was a Student of Life, who wanted to know what Life was really all about. Stories had been told and heard, about wise sages who had transcended the physical, and had entered into a complete understanding of Life. And so a search was implemented by the Student to attain this understanding.

It began simply and innocently, with an exploration of the Church. After all, billions of people consider Jesus to be one of those who know what Life really is. The Student was conscientiously pious, and prayed when awaking, before and after meals, before going to sleep, and, of course, in church on Sundays and all the holidays. Revivals were attended, and the momentary feelings of ecstasy were experienced. But something seemed peculiar. Why would Life have to have motivation? Why could it not just be, on its own merit? And to make it worse, the Church dictated that one must be good out of fear of retribution and not just because Life is its own reward for being good. So the Student, dissatisfied with the doctrines, the patriarchal rituals and the hypocrisy, decided to seek an understanding of Life elsewhere.

The Student explored other religions. In the Asian continent, Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism were experienced. Philosophies, ancient, exotic and esoteric were studied, but none seemed to hold the concise meaning of Life that the Student sought.

So the Student tried disciplines more commonly associated with the Physical realm: jogging, aerobic classes, a home in the suburbs. It was fascinating, thought the Student, how each of these things seems to possess a glimmer of what Life is all about, but does not really fulfill the urge to fully understand Life. So the Student sought out a Teacher.

The Student’s first Teacher was a Channel, someone who would communicate with an ethereal spirit on behalf of the Student, would actually “become” the spirit when in session with the Student. Much was learned from the Channel: how and when to laugh, to cry, to work, to play. But all this still did not complete the understanding of Life.

Something was Missing.

The Student realized the need to become at one with the Universe in order to understand Life. So the lessons of abstinence, isolation, and celibacy began. Periods of years of chanting were intermingled with years of silence and meditation. Much wisdom was acquired, and oneness with the Universe was actually finally experienced! But even that experience did not fully answer: What is Life about?

One day, word came to the Student that a Sage lived high in the mountains, and had the answer so long sought for. The Student made the pilgrimage and approached the Sage with the question.

The Sage sat upon a well-worn rock in a full lotus position, dressed in simple white, the grayed hair flowing beyond the shoulders.

The Sage asked, “What have you done thus far to seek an understanding of Life?”

The Student answered, “I have committed my life to finding the answer. I have been within churches, synagogues, and mosques. I have studied the philosophies of the East and West. I have followed teachers and acquired enough Wisdom to be comfortable with how little I know. I have deprived my physical self for many years, and have even become one with the Universe. And yet, though I am now old and grayed, and though I could continue without necessarily having to know the answer, I would like to know what Life really is.”

The Sage looked at the Student long and hard. After a time, the Sage said words that stung like a knife in the Student’s heart, “Life is that which you have forsaken in order to understand it.” The Sage continued, “But do not be disheartened by this, for so long as you are still within its realm, it is not too late to take it back. Go forth into the world, and become a part of the Life therein, for its meaning is found fully only in its experience.”

The Student, after a remarkable length of time, asked the Sage, “But if what you say is true, then why do you sit up here, isolated from the world, from Life?”

The Sage replied, “Just as you spent much time attaining Wisdom, now I, who have enjoyed and experienced Life fully, choose to rest and attain Wisdom.

“Is it not possible,” the Student asked, “to do both?”

The Sage thought but a moment, gave a little smile, and replied, “Yep, you’re right; come on; lets go.” And the Sage got up and stood next to the Student.

The Student was astounded. “You mean to say, you learned something from me?”

The Sage laughed, and said, “A Teacher is not one who teaches, but is one who shares what is learned. Thus when one stops learning, one ceases to be a teacher. Come now, my fellow Teacher, and let us party, let us understand what Life is.”

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 “Well,” I said, “I hope you liked this little biography I wrote about you.”

“Yes, very much,” you said, “but you know, I really didn’t try being celibate for very long.”

“I know,” I said, “and I’m very thankful, because sharing that with you, for me, is truly one of Life’s great Mysteries.”

“And so are you,” you said.

“And you,” I said.

 

Ørfeø

May 14, 1996

Last modified: 02/23/22